Tools for Reducing Unhealthy Alcohol and Drug Use Among Patients in Office-Based Practice
You will hear from two local addiction and SBIRT experts –
Lelin Chao, M.D. & Peter Cohen, M.D.
This training will introduce providers to SBIRT, improve use of motivational techniques to change patient behavior, and offer practical tips for providing SBIRT services in busy office-based settings. You will also receive instruction on registering for and using the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) from Colleen George, Director of MedChi’s Center for the Private Practice of Medicine.
Sign up for the PDMP prior to attending!
Wednesday, May 24, 2017
5:30 – 6:00 P.M.- Registration/Dinner
6:00 – 9:00 P.M. – Program
Doctors Community Hospital
North Building – Fourth Floor Classrooms
8118 Good Luck Road Lanham, MD 20706
Objectives: At the conclusion of this activity the participant will be able to:
- Describe the SBIRT system (Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment), an evidence-based intervention for patients with low, medium or severe alcohol or drug use;
- Integrate the use of motivational techniques to influence patients to reduce unhealthy behaviors;
- Formulate a framework for providing SBIRT services in office-based settings including the use of electronic health records, billing codes, etc.;
- Apply effective substance use screening and intervention within a busy primary care or specialty care practice; and
- Relate the rationale for, the use of and how to register for the PDMP in the context of prescribing controlled me
dictations and screening for substance use, misuse and addiction.
Educational credits will be available!
To register CLICK HERE or email email@example.com by May 19, 2017. Please include full name with credentials; along with specialty, practice name, contact number and email address with registration.
For more information contact the Center for a Healthy Maryland at 410-539-0872/800-492-1056 ext 3337. CLICK HERE to view information about other training dates.