The Pratt & MedChi
When Dr. William Osler became President of the Faculty in 1896-97, one of his missions was to completely update the pitiful books, pamphlets, and periodical publications that made up the library.
The Pratt, as it’s known, was located on Cathedral Street between West Franklin and West Mulberry Streets, just around the corner from Dr. Osler’s residence on West Franklin Street.
The original branch of the Pratt had opened in 1886, and by 1894, it had one of the largest collections in the country. However, the growing collection meant that a new building was necessary and by 1931, the library’s staff, services, and 400,000 volumes had moved to temporary quarters at Redwood Street and Hopkins Plaza while the original building was demolished and a new building was constructed on the original site.